Ready-Made Basics Recipe
As part of a balanced Raw & Fresh diet, our Roo Basics Recipe for cats is created according to common BARF (Biologically Available Raw Food) principles, containing balanced ratios of muscle meat and offal. It's also suitable for all life stages, including kittens.
Our formula is lovingly crafted with 10 years of experience feeding thousands of pets. We have satisfied a wide variety of diet concerns and enriched the lives of our furry friends with over a million meals delivered.
Who should feed Roo Basics?
Our Basics recipes are designed for raw feeders who wish to use our meals as a base, but may also want to add variety to their diets with separate bones, treats or supplements. They're a more traditional Raw & Fresh meal plan for a healthier, happier feline.
These raw cat food recipes also make an ideal base for an elimination diet to isolate sensitivities. The meal composition is simple and ... basic, allowing greater flexibility with a more customised diet plan.
This pre-made meal has a balance of 90% muscle meat (including 5% lamb heart meat for extra taurine) and 10% offal, made up of highly nutritious secreting organs. Taurine is an essential amino acid that's critical for normal vision, digestion, heart muscle function, to maintain normal pregnancy and fetal development, and to maintain a healthy immune system. Find out more information about Taurine here.
We also have Bulk Roo Basics available in 2.5kg packs.
Keep reading for recipe comparisons, dietary, feeding and shipping information.
All Natural Australian Produce
Every pack is freshly-made to order and is:
- All natural
- Australian made
- Human grade
- Grain free
- Preservative free
- Hormone free
- Ethically sourced
- Delivered fresh, not frozen
We only use the highest-quality raw ingredients sourced from human-grade suppliers. Our ingredients are sourced from the same suppliers restaurants and markets use for your food. No additives, preservatives or fillers. Just the biologically appropriate nutrients they need, as nature intended.
This is broken down into:
Our pet mince component is high-grade muscle meat, with 5% lamb heart. Heart meat is rich in taurine, which is an essential amino acid that promotes normal vision, digestion, heart muscle function and maintains a healthy immune system.
Our organ meat is made exclusively from beef liver, kidney, spleen and pancreas. These are known as "secreting organs", which carnivores value for their nutrient density.
Offal forms 10% of each recipe and is packed with essential vitamins, minerals and amino acids:
- Vitamin A, B6, B12, D, E and C
- Pantothenic Acid
- Folic Acid
Most importantly, offal is a wholly-natural source of nutrients, unlike the synthetic ingredients added to most mass-produced pet foods.
Note that Roo Basics does not contain any bone content. To find complementary calcium content for this recipe, you can browse our bones section for chicken necks or chicken wings and many more.
Alternatively, our raw chicken recipe also contain 10% ground bone, mixed with the meat content. Bone content provides a good calcium boost, with additional nutrients provided by the marrow and cartilage.
Kangaroo Muscle Meat, Beef Liver, Beef Kidneys, Beef Spleen, Lamb Heart.
Guaranteed analysis per 100g
Production & Food Safety
Our Raw Cat Food meals are made fresh to order in our hygienic commercial kitchens, with very strict sanitary measures that include a full sanitary scrub-down between production runs.
To preserve the nutrient value and freshness of our foods, we recommend observing careful food safety practices. Always wash your hands and bowls after feeding.
We package our recipes inside an airtight barrier film, tightly vacuum-sealed, removing most of the oxygen to keep our products fresh longer. The packs are easy to cut open and dispose of.
We use no preservatives whatsoever. Not even the supposedly "natural" ones commonly used by other pet food brands, which often have an unhealthy level of sodium. Artificial preservatives have been shown to cause serious harm to pets both short and long term. Preservative use is responsible for a great number of product recalls in the pet industry and we avoid them altogether.
We recommend you freeze all products upon receiving your delivery. You can put aside any meals into the fridge that you intend to feed within the first couple of days.
Our shelf life is:
Frozen: 3 months
Sealed Pack in Fridge: 3-4 days
Opened Pack in Fridge: Feed same day
We make fresh to order, so all good things take time. We collect all orders placed in a given week by Sunday midnight, then order fresh produce to make and deliver the following week.
You don't need to be home to receive your delivery. We use refrigerated couriers for end to end, temperature-controlled delivery. We seal your order in fully-insulated boxes with ice packs to keep cool for up to 10 hours after we deliver to your door.
Please take the time to read our delivery info page for details. You can also check delivery coverage to your postcode on this page.
How Shipping Works
- Place your order
- Immediately receive your confirmation email with ETA details
- Wait for the Monday following your order when fresh produce is ordered
- Delivery is scheduled for the date mentioned in your ETA email, the week after you order
- An SMS with a tracking link is sent in the evening, the night before delivery
- Your yummy food is delivered to you!
Note you can also leave shipping instructions at the cart review step before checkout.
On average, you should feed about 125g per 5kg of bodyweight per day. Feel free to adjust up and down according to your cat's specific weight, their activity level, current weight goals and to compensate for adding bones and supplements. A 5kg cat would eat one 125g pack per day, while a 10kg cat would eat 250g per day.
For a kitten, use the following matrix, based on their age, to calculate the correct feeding amount per day.
||% of bodyweight
||0.1 x bodyweight
||0.08 x bodyweight
||0.07 x bodyweight
||0.06 x bodyweight
||0.05 x bodyweight
||0.04 x bodyweight
||0.03 x bodyweight
|68 weeks +
||0.02-0.04 x bodyweight
For those making the transition from a different diet, be sure to read our transitioning your cat to raw feeding guide.
We also have a meal planner for cats to help calculate values for multiple pets.
Dietary Recommendations for Roo Basics
Our Roo recipes are best fed with the following considerations in mind:
- With a very low fat content compared to other recipes, Roo Basics can help cats with pancreatitis, urinary tract infections or other digestive issues, or ageing cats who need a reduced fat intake.
- Our kangaroo meat basics recipe does not contain bone, so you'll need to source additional calcium from our bones section, or from yoghurt.
- If you notice your cat's stools are too soft or runny on this recipe and they're otherwise in good health, this might indicate too little bone content. You may also consider alternating with our Chicken Basics recipe.
- Due to the significantly lower fat and energy content of our Roo recipes, you may need to supplement with additional fat from healthy sources, like sardines, omega oils or coconut oils available in our supplements section.
- As with all new diets, you should give your cat a couple of weeks to adapt to the new regime. They may have runny or softer stools during this transition, so please take the time to read our transition guide to help you along.
- If your cat is sensitive to any of the ingredients in this recipe, you may need to trial an elimination diet using our other raw food products to identify the culprit.
- Reach out anytime to our customer care team if you need guidance, bearing in mind that our recommendations are provided without a physical examination and should not be considered a replacement for consulting a medical professional.
Use the code STARTSHIP at checkout for FREE SHIPPING when you spend over $30 on your first order.
Alternatively, you can use the code GETSTARTED for 10% off your first order.
You can only use one code per checkout.
These coupon codes are added during checkout, so discounts will appear after the code has been entered into the discount input box, just before the payment step.
Looking for Bulk Sizes?
We also have this product in 2.5kg bulk packs.