Raw Dog Food Feeding Guide
How Much Raw Food Should I Feed My Dog By Weight (KG)?
As a general rule, dogs should eat approximately 2-5% of their body weight in raw daily food. This will vary depending on the dog’s energy and activity levels.
- If your pet is overweight and needs to lose a few extra kilos, feed them closer to 2% of their body weight and give them more exercise.
- For the average activity level, 3% per day is generally fine.
- If your pet is underweight, or has high activity levels, closer to 4% should be fed.
- Very highly active dogs, like working dogs will need up to 5% of body weight per day.
Are You New To Feeding A Raw & Fresh Diet?
Read more about the benefits of raw feeding, for a longer, happier, healthier life on our home page. The link above will open on a new page, so you won't lose your place in this article.
How Active Is My Dog?
Activity levels can be described as follows:
- Sedentary (2%): Very little activity. Mostly indoors. A dog should typically only have this low of an activity level if it's elderly, injured, or unwell.
- Average (3%): 30-60 minutes of normal walking per day and moderate play.
- High (4%): A 60-minute walk per day, with energetic play.
- Working (5%): Farm dogs, cattle, and sheep herding dogs. Obstacle course show dogs. Police dogs, etc.
How Many Times Per Day?
We recommend feeding your dog their required daily amount, divided over 2 meals per day as this is better for their digestion (and helps to avoid bloat in larger breeds. A dog lick mat can also be a great tool to help slow your dog's eating pace and aid digestion). Feeding twice can also prevent begging between meals. If feeding twice isn't possible due to schedules, once per day is also fine in most cases.
The below table has some suggested amounts to feed with our complete & balanced AAFCO recipes, with some rounding to match our available pre-pack sizes. Note that you can switch between standard recipes and leaner recipes to suit your dog as you observe their bodies over time.
|% of weight/day||5kg||10kg||15kg||20kg||25kg||30kg||35kg||40kg|
Try out our raw feeding calculator to make the calculations easier.
What Should I Feed My Dog?
Our AAFCO-standard Complete Beef recipe gives the most complete and balanced diet out of the packet for those getting started.
For weight loss or just for variety, you can try our leaner Roo Complete recipe.
We also have a variety of base recipes formulated on BARF (Biologically Available Raw Food) principles:
- Raw Basics: For those on elimination diets, or who prefer to add their vegetables and supplements themselves.
- Raw Essentials: More balanced recipes with vegetable content, to form the basis of a BARF meal plan.
What Food Do I Feed A Puppy?
Puppies are a special case and we have a puppy feeding chart, with detailed information about what to feed and how much.
What Bones And Treats Should I Feed?
For most dogs, a good bone will help clean their teeth and give an essential calcium boost. Make sure you supervise your dog while chewing bones and feed an appropriate bone size. A good rule is a bone is at least the size of its head. Greedy chewers need extra attention to prevent a choking hazard.
Where Can I Find Your Catalogue?
You can browse our entire raw dog food catalogue here and by using the main menu at the top of this page.
Got More Questions? Contact Us
If you have any questions that aren't answered on our website, feel free to open a live chat below and we'd be glad to help!
If our chat is unattended, please leave your contact details. We reply fast!