Should You Consider Getting An Office Dog?
Having dogs in the workplace is an initiative promoted by a number of modern companies and they are seeing great benefits. Bringing your dog to work can not only have some great benefits for your dog, but it can also have some great benefits for you and your workmates!
Let’s face it people love dogs! And if they don’t, well… I won’t go down that road! Office dogs are a great way to build a calm and engaging workplace. Rapport is built and work relationships are enhanced by colleagues having a pat or an exchange about the new fury staff member. There is no problem a good pat can't fix for both you and the dog.
What Are The Benefits Of An Office Dog?
It has been shown that dogs in the workplace also lead to an enhanced general mood and also helps to reduce stress and anxiety. Petting, playing, or and having your dog by your side increases the amount of the stress-fighting hormone oxytocin and decreases the stress-causing hormone cortisol. These chemical benefits help you stay focused and deliver quality work when the pressure is on.
Another advantage shown is office dogs encourage you to take a quick break-even just while passing or taking the dog for a quick walk outside to get some sunshine which is fantastic for your health. This isn’t a bad thing for the workaholics out there! Having a break reduces stress, and exhaustion and allows the mind to refresh and approach challenging tasks with a clear focus.
The other perk for those of you that are lucky enough to own the dog is you don’t have to worry about your pooch being at home by themselves or causing any ruckus whilst you’re at work. We all know the saying “it takes a village” well let your team at work help look after your dog and share the love and benefits.
Tips For Bringing Your Dog To Work
- Appoint a Puppy Manager that can coordinate dog-related matters like which dogs are coming in on different days and making sure the dogs get their toilet breaks throughout the day.
- Bring their current bedding or sheet - allows them to feel comfortable in a new environment.
- Bring some dog treats! Often with a new environment, dogs can get excited and treats are a great way to get them to settle back down.
- Bring some toys! A long day in the office can get a bit boring, bring some toys to keep them entertained. A LickiMat Playdate slow feeding mat is a great way to keep them entertained for a period of time while eating. Any of the LickiMat range is great for this dilemma!
- Have plenty of water available.
- Take lots of potty breaks - having an accident in the office is often frowned upon by some.
For more information please reach out to us on our live chat or email.